We’ve all heard the horror stories of someone who has purchased a foreclosed home or an older build only to find out it has a serious mold issue. Whether it’s an old basement, a leaky roof or discolored drywall, given the right conditions, mold can grow anywhere–even in a new home.
“One of our recent clients bought a newly built home in Newport Beach, CA.,” Jonathan Jackson of Jackson Demo recalled. “She had no idea that the house had a mold issue until moved in and started noticing water leaking from her pipes. I think she was shocked especially because the house had just been built.”
Mold is a serious issue that can lead to a variety of health issues that go beyond just sneezing and coughing. Asthma, pneumonia and other serious respiratory illnesses are possible from exposure to mold. And while consumers may be tempted to use household products to scrub away or paint over discoloration, proper removal is only way to ensure that your family is protected.
Because mold can grow within a 24 hour period and spread rapidly, homeowners should not wait if they suspect a mold problem. The longer it goes untreated, the more areas it will likely impact. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has created a homeowners guide to mold and moisture that outlines basic information on mold including how to handle clean up and how to prevent it from happening.
Whether you notice excess water, discolored walls or a musty smell, calling a consultant and acting right away is the first step in preventing further damage to your home and your belongings.
Call in a Professional
Jackson recommends calling in a professional mold inspector for a thorough evaluation. “Home remedies are not foolproof. A lot of times, mold is not detected by the human eye. And mold tends to come back if not properly handled.”
When calling in a professional, be sure to ask if they have handled mold remediation in the past. Specialized companies that have worked on mold abatement in the past have specialized equipment that they use including infrared equipment to help detect mold that may not be seen by the human eye.
Turn off Your Heat and Air
If you suspect mold, your HVAC system may be contaminated. Because mold often enters through a ventilation system, dangerous spores can be released into the air by running these systems. Contact a professional before turning on your heat or air as a precaution until you can have it inspected.
If you suspect mold in your home, call Jackson Demo for a free quote today.